Friday 21 January 2011

Tanger

In the medina of Tanger

I am writing this first entry of my current trip in Africa sitting in an internet cafe in Tanger. In spite of its rather doubtful reputation, Tanger is one of my favorite cities in Morocco with its labyrith-like medina (old city), great cafes and interesting atmosphere.

The city has long been home to many smugglers and other shady characters and is one of the places from where refugees from various (mostly West)African countries try to enter Europe. Spain is only about 14 kilometres across the Strait of Gibraltar and can usually been seen from here. I just had a glass of very sweet mint tea in the legendary Cafe Hafa where many young people sit on small terrasses drinking tea, smoking and looking at the sea and the Spanish coast. Tomorrow, I will take a bus to Rabat where I hope to meet my friend Houcine who is teaching geography at the university.

No comments: