Saturday 12 February 2011

Richard Toll


The first town in Senegal where I stopped was Richard Toll. Richard was a French colonial official who had a garden ("Toll' in the local language, Wolof) here, hence the name. My intention was to spend one night here and then continue to the next town along the river, Podor, but then I met Bakary. He works as a taxi driver in Richard Toll and I immediately liked him. He introduced me to his friends Sila and Mamadou with whom I've been spending most of my time in the last week. Our favorite place is in the shade of a tree near the Folie de Roger, an old colonial mansion which is one of the few tourist attractions of Richard Toll.

Friends in Richard Toll

Not many tourists find their way to Richard Toll; however, two groups of tourists have been arriving each week since a ship cruise along the river has been started a few years ago. My friends try to sell them souvenirs like musical instruments and selfmade jewellery and are thinking about opening a small tea stall.

Tourists at the Folie de Roger in Richard Toll

I find the gardens behind the gardens behind the Folie de Roger even more interesting than the old building. Inspired by the vast garden area there and the beautiful garden that Michelle, an American Peace Corps Volunteer, keeps near the hospital, Sila, Mamadou and I have started to cultivate a garden plot that Sila has left unused for several years. Today, we might plant lemon grass and beans around the maniok that is already there.


Vegetable garden behind the Folie de Roger in Richard Toll

No comments: