Tuesday 6 November 2007

State of Emergency 2

No real news from here. The situation continues to be calm for us personally but terrible for Pakistan. I've talked to many people in the last couple of days and don't remember one person who was in favour of the steps taken by Musharraf. Today, I saw a lot of police in front of the main court in Faisalabad but otherwise, there's no real change to be seen. However, there's a strange atmosphere all around us.

I know that a whole avalanche of media information is rolling over people outside the country. In contrast, here the fact that many tv stations have gone off the air means that rumours are rife. For a brief time, we believed an SMS telling us that Musharraf had been arrested. Internet works, though, so within minutes we could check and find out that this wasn't the case.
While many lawyers are protesting, I didn't hear about any demonstrations by students and the atmosphere at the university wasn't different today than before the State of Emergency.

In case you're not fed up with news, here are two links that I find worthwhile:

an interview with the Guardian's Pakistan correspondent, Declan Walsh

and

a collection of voices from people in Pakistan

1 comment:

Daniel Ruwe said...

This is interesting. I have heard a great deal about the Pakistan issue (and wrote about it on my blog, if you're interested).