Monday 24 January 2011

Rabat and Salé

Market in Salé

It's cool and rainy outside, perfect weather for writing another entry for this blog. This is my third day in Rabat and I've spent the morning waiting in front of the Mauretanian embassy where I applied for a visa.

The hotel where I'm staying is right near the main market area in the old city. Stepping out into the street, I can turn right where for the next 200 metres, mobile phones and related equipment are being sold (most people would probably not even look at the old mobile phone I used in Germany when there's so many iPhones on sale...). On the other side are a few restaurants and shops selling padlocks, clothes and many other things.

Yesterday, I went to the neighbouring city of Salé and strolled through the wonderful medina. Many of the narrow alleys have dead ends and depending on which colour the walls are painted in, you are walking in yellow, red, orange or blue light.

Salé's golden age was from the 16th to 18th century when pirates brought in lots of money. For an interesting article about the infamous Salé Rovers, click here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to know you are fairing well so far. Hope things get smoother and more interesting. Really look forward to seeing some pics of your trip. Have a wonderful day.
Jerry

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you, Bilbinho, I wish you a safe trip and many new experiences to take home with you!

Paco said...

Hey Philipp. I'm sure that you'll manage to survive your adventure and have fun on the way. I remember resourceful in the countryside... I heard great things about the beautiful landscapes in Mauritania for example. I'm so jealous hehehe. And remember that you can always visit if you wanna rest once in Andalusia ;)

Best of luck
Paco-Francisco

Anonymous said...

Fette Reise!
Pass auf dich auf - Cheers Martin (Freiburg)